1/ Get your pet microchipped

The first thing you need to do is to take your pet to the vet to get microchipped. The identifying microchip is an integrated circuit placed under the pet’s skin. It need to meet the International Standard Organization criterion and meet the 11784 specifications or annex A of ISO standards 11 785. The vet need to make sure that the microchip is readable, every pet have an identification number. It is very important because if the pet microchip fails, it won’t be allowed to travel.

2/ Vaccination

Then, your pet need to be vaccinated against rabies. It is a disease that causes inflammation of the brain. The vaccination needs to be done after the pet have been microchipped, but before vaccinating your pet, make sure that the vet read the microchip number and record it in your pet vaccination record. You also need to make sure that all the information concerning your pet are recorded such as the date of birth, the date when the microchip was implanted and the location of the microchip, the date of vaccination, the vaccine product name, the batch number, and the date the booster vaccination is due.

A wait of 21 days from the date of the first rabies vaccination is required before your pet can enter European countries. However, if the pet required more than one vaccination, the 21 days are counted from the date of the final vaccination.

After vaccinating your pet, a booster vaccination will be required regularly, the date will be written by the vet in the vaccination record.

3/ Get an EU pet passport

The passport is issued by the Local Veterinary Inspector. Your vet or your local Animal Health Office will be able to tell you where to find one. Do not forget to take you dog with you, with its vaccination record and the blood test results if it is applicable.

The EU pet passport is accepted by all European Union countries. It should include your pet microchip number, the date the microchip was implanted and the record of the rabies vaccination. However, to enter or re-enter certain countries like the UK, Malta, Sweden and Ireland, other than direct from the UK, a blood test is also required.

4/ Exceptions

To enter Sweden, your pet must be treated for tapeworms from 1 to 10 days before you enter Sweden. Tapeworms are parasites most commonly found in cat and dog intestines.

When the pets travel directly from the UK to Ireland, there are no requirements.

5/ Advice

Contact the embassy of the country that you want to enter to check the requirement, remember that it can slightly differ from a country to another.

You may also research the local veterinarians’ offices before you leave for your holiday as this will cut down on the stress if your animal falls ill during your trip.

Source by Jack Norell

Print Friendly, PDF & Email